Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello I'm a newbie

Hello I'm a newbie 25 Jan 2012 08:08 #2949

• Anniesmum
  • Teenage Rampager
Hi everyone I am new to the site I have two Akitas at the moment mother Annie aged almost 4 and son Roman who is just 12 months in a weeks time Romans brother Vito will be coming back to stay any advice on integrating Vito safely back into our household will be gratefully recieved.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Hello I'm a newbie 25 Jan 2012 13:20 #2952

• Joomla
  • Trustee
Hi Kate, good to see you have joined the forum. I hope Vito fits in well to your family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anniesmum

Re: Hello I'm a newbie 25 Jan 2012 15:16 #2958

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
Hi from another newbie. I am sorry I cannot help but I am sure someone will come to your aid. Good luck. 3 Akitas will be quite a handful.

Re: Hello I'm a newbie 26 Jan 2012 05:49 #2976

• Stephanie
  • Trustee
Hello and welcome to the forum. If they are all neutered it might help. Not many same sex Akitas will tolorate each other. Two is company three is a pack

Re: Hello I'm a newbie 26 Jan 2012 22:27 #3001

Hi & welcome...are any of the boys had the chop??....I should imagine Roman has taken an alpha position in the family,(unless Annie's the boss!!), which could cause you problems, introducing Vito into the pack....might go ok...I'm not an expert on behaviour, but Kate & Pauline can give you sound advice on this prob...they say the same sex dogs don't get along, but I've never had a problem ...all mine, my sons & my daughter same sex dogs all get on well together....also depends on the dogs temperment too....hope you get the advice you need & all goes well....why is Vito coming back to you??....keep in touch & let us know how things are going......Pam Maya & Scoobie

Re: Hello I'm a newbie 27 Jan 2012 07:54 #3007

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
You may have a problem as you'll have 2 adolescent males in the house of potentially similar temperaments. It's quite likely that they'll be fine to start with and you'll have problems in a couple of months when they've settled in. Then there's likely to be another 'sticky' time when the boys reach around 20 months and there's another surge of hormones than can cause fights (this is much reduced if they're neutered well before then).

My advice would be to introduce slowly, make sure you have the facility to keep them separate and ensure that they have individual training times as well as group training.

Good luck!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter