Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Hello All

Re: Hello All 13 Aug 2012 10:42 #6189

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Hi Amanda,
What a pretty little bear Kia is.
Have you started to crate train her? IMO that is one of the most important parts of puppy rearing. The crate is your dogs private space where she can go for a bit of time to herself. They also help to lessen the chances of pup getting separation anxiety as they feel quite happy and safe in them once they are used to it. I would never be without mine, Tia doesnt use it much anymore, she does still sleep in it occasionally but should I need her in there urgently shes quite happy to do so. My staff pup still uses his when we are out, and he cant get in it quick enough when my coat goes on lol, he knows its treat time
They are quite expensive in Akita size, you can get them much cheaper on Ebay.
Looking forward to more pics of the gorgeous Kia
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Hello All 13 Aug 2012 11:46 #6191

Hi,

I agree that crate training is brilliant for a breed like this and other dogs also....I crate trained our two Akita Nushka and Inka but didn't ever have a crate for Charlie boy the Westie

But keep plenty photos coming please, otherwise we will be having some words with yah!!!!

Jessie+Charlie Boy

Re: Hello All 13 Aug 2012 12:02 #6193

• malibu2027
  • Akita Savie
Ho Welcome to the mad house LOL

she's adorable xxxxxxx

love Dawn xxxx

Thankyou guys 14 Aug 2012 13:17 #6216

HI all
Thanks for all your lovely comments and suggestions.
Kia is doing amazingly well, we are crate trining as suggested and she is getting used to it. I am amazed at her intelligence and she is alreadyshowing some amazing loyalty and companionship. THe only thing that i amalittle concerned of is how aggresive she can be over her food lots iof growlind if anyone approaches. I am presuming this may have something to do with the conditions she spent her first weeks in. Any advice guys ??????

Much love
Amanda and Kia

Re: Hello All 14 Aug 2012 22:22 #6233

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Puppies can be quite guarding of their meals, but yes you do have to put a stop to that one fairly quickly.
Im not really sure of the right way to do this, with my dogs I always take their food as and when I want to. I tell them leave and pick up the bowl and tell them to sit before I put the dish back down, They used to move forward still eating lol, always sat and waited. I still take their food from them occasionally and neither one of them is food aggressive. Tia can be a bit of a cow when she has something extra yummy like a pigs ear or fish skin, she runs off as soon as I get near lol, but I tend to leave her in peace with those.
Have you looked on google? There are some really good tips floating around online
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Hello All 14 Aug 2012 23:21 #6236

Welcome Amanda and Kia, it sounds like you're going to be a great family for your little bear As for the food thing, remember she's just a baby and has to learn everything from scratch, so start as you mean to go on, be firm and train her to sit before you put the food down for her, then tell her to eat it, after a while when she's out of her bad ways you can slacken on this a bit, and as for the puppy food aggression, the thing that's always worked for me is to put bits of food into the food bowl while she's eating, that way she starts to see your hand as something rewarding and she stops thinking that you're going to take her food away also standing close to her while she eats builds up a trust, then you can gradually start to put your hand in the food bowl while she's eating and hand her food, you can take her bowl awy aa little bit and move it back, oh and another thing you can try is to hold her bowl and hand her treats from the bowl, it's all about letting her know your friend not foe, it's best to do it now and her bite isn`t to serious (remember to squeal if she nips you while food training ) it will be worth the effort, I managed to get Asia out of her food aggression in a simular way and she was almost 2 years old!

As the others have said, get her into a training class as soon as you can, I had my Benny in classes from a puppy and we managed to get a Good Citizen Dog Certificate which carries a lot of weight when someone wants to make a deal out of the akita breed being aggressive, he also got his begginers certificate and learnt to socialize with all different breeds, take your kids too, because they also need to learn dog control and training, we had kids at our classes and they loved it Oh yes, and always remember akita's rarely "do" recall so keep her on a lead at all times when she's outside, but you proberly already know that
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter