Welcome, Guest

Hi to everyone from Tally's new mum!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi to everyone from Tally's new mum!

Hi to everyone from Tally's new mum! 17 Sep 2012 13:06 #6649

• TallysMum
  • Bear Puppy
Wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself just waiting for the final rubber stamp from the trustees, and hopefully from next weekend I will be the proud new mum of Tally, found on this site! Like everyone else, I am now a huge Akita fan. Any tips on helping my gorgeous girl settle in will be gratefully received, and I'll keep you all posted on how she's doing. And of course, lots of pics!

Also just wanted to say a massive thank you to Teresa and Kirsty, who've helped with the adoption process and shared their passion and knowledge

Re: Hi to everyone from Tally's new mum! 17 Sep 2012 13:48 #6650

• Stephanie
  • Trustee
Hello Sally and Tally. (Meant for each other)

Looking forward to seeing pics of Tally in her new home. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on choosing to adopt an Akita in need.

Tips mmh.

1. Akitas can escape from open windows, even upstairs.
2. Bakers and Wagg are cheap low quality dog foods, a bit like feeding MacDonalds. Full of colorants, fillers and fluffers and little real food. You get out what you put in.
3. A good pet insurance is important for vet cover as well as third party. Make sure the cover is for life of an illness and not just for the first year.
4. When you first get her, don't take her visiting all sorts of folk until she has settled in. It might confuse her.
5. Make sure that you get her vet card with inoculation documents from the owner.
6. If you change her food, do it gradually or else you might have problems.
7. No off leading in public. Akitas are hunting dogs and rarely have a recall.

I am sure others can think of a few more.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Hi to everyone from Tally's new mum! 17 Sep 2012 14:07 #6651

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Hi Sally and welcome

The picture you have of her is lovely, she is a very pretty girl

There are lots of people here who have a wealth of knowledge and will be able to give you tips and pointers to help.

Oooooh its exciting, cant wait to see the pictures when she isnt so "round", she is going to love lazing in your garden too, they will be beautiful pictures

My only tip: do not rush anything, let her do things in her own time, its a huge change for her. Shes a lucky lady

Teresa
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Hi to everyone from Tally's new mum! 17 Sep 2012 14:31 #6652

• Joomla
  • Trustee
It will be lovely to see Tally her new forever home, and welcome to Sally, hope you enjoy your time here.
I bet you cant wait to get your new best friend.
When introducing Tally to new dog friends, it is best that you do not do a face to face meeting on the first meet. Just carry on walking and wait for the other dog to get near you ,but not close enought so the other dog or Tally could reach to bite etc, once they have been walking for awhile then gradually get close enough for them to touch, any problems move apart and just carry on walking again, just repeat this till they are ok with each others company, once they have met a few times, they will know each other and should be ok.

Re: Hi to everyone from Tally's new mum! 17 Sep 2012 14:46 #6654

• TallysMum
  • Bear Puppy
Ladies, thank you, that's great advice. I can't wait to bring her home, I think she's going to love having my garden to potter and play in I couldn't resist buying her a couple of toys today!!

Teresa, I will definitely let her take things at her pace, it's going to be a different lifestyle for her, but hopefully one she'll really enjoy. I spoke to the vet this morning to arrange a check up, vaccination boosters, etc, and they've suggested waiting up to a week before taking her in, so she has time to settle in, so I'll book her in for the end of next week.

Re: Hi to everyone from Tally's new mum! 17 Sep 2012 14:52 #6656

• Stephanie
  • Trustee
Hi
If you take her to the vet and he thinks she may develop anything in the future, once it is on record, you have to declare it to the insurance company.

If she does not need to see a vet for any obvious reason, I would make sure that the insurance is in place and has been for its required period of time prior to taking her to a vet. It is usually a two week period but could be a month or even three.

If she has no vet history, you can insure her as a rescue with no previous history which will get you the best premium.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter