Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello...

Hello... 26 Dec 2012 17:33 #7709

• m0macow
  • Bear Puppy
Hi Guys...
I am new here, and new to Akitas... but not new to dogs...
Looking to rehome an Akita, and have a new family member !

Re: Hello... 26 Dec 2012 18:40 #7712

• akitalady9
  • Calm before the storm
Hi & Welcome.
Great that you have joined the site.
There's lots of Akita owners on here that can help you make the right decision & help you with what you need to know - We Don't Bite !!!
I was just wondering what attracted you to the breed ?

If you are considering rehoming an Akita, the best bit of advice is to read, read, & read more about the breed. They are wonderful dogs but need an owner who is prepared to go that extra mile when training them. Being a large breed,the need for exercise & good solid training is a must , & the whole family & circle of friends should be on board.They are not a breed for the faint hearted.
I have owned several Akitas for 20 years & still would not think i know everything about them. If you do think about the possibility of owning one of these gorgeous dogs, please use the expertise of the people who own them on this Rescue site & ask as many questions as you can.
The whole reason so many are up for adoption is that people didn't research in the 1st place & these small, cute, cuddly bears can turn into rebelious teenagers ..............with big paws ,attitudes & appetites to match.

Saying that, given the right start they are the most wonderful dogs who will reward you with years of loyalty & will hold your heart like no other dog ever could

We are all here to help & to make sure the dogs that are needing a new home get the forever home they deserve - So please ask away !

Good Luck & hope the advice is useful

Dawn x
Last Edit: 26 Dec 2012 18:42 by akitalady9. Reason: spelling again !!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: m0macow

Re: Hello... 26 Dec 2012 20:27 #7714

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Hello welcome to the world of Akita's

Its lovely that you wish to offer a home to an Akita, have you looked at the dogs in need section on the homepage? There are so many beautiful dogs waiting.

Ive had two Akita's at separate times, and both were totally different, but both have increased my love for the breed. They do say that once you have shared your life with an Akita you will always do so. So many on this forum have owned Akita's for many years and find it very rewarding.

Teresa
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Hello... 27 Dec 2012 14:27 #7723

• m0macow
  • Bear Puppy
Hi
Thanks for replying...
I currently have a resuce EBT so i knew I wanted to rescue rather than have a pup, my boyfriend had a Akita (he was pts in the summer) and so thats where my love started,
In the summer I bought my house and I live there alone with my boys (bf lives in newcastle, I manchester) and suddenly have this overwhelming fear of vunrabilty. As much as i adore 'Rocket' (EBT) she is defo no guard dog, and would quite happily let anyone wander in...

I have been longing for another dog and the obvious choice was an Akita...

I'm no stranger to difficult training before 'Rocket' we had a Staffie... Ha he was a nightmare whirlwind, so bring on the challenge...

nicole

Re: Hello... 28 Dec 2012 13:02 #7741

Akitas make great guard dogs, but you don't want an aggressive dog so just keep that in mind,could you not keep your EBT and still have another dog, I mean, in my honest opinion, I don't think its right to just replace dogs,I couldn't just give up my dog like that

Jessie, welcome to the forum by the way!

Re: Hello... 28 Dec 2012 14:11 #7743

• Kirsty
  • Administrator
Hi Nicole,

welcome to the group and the akita world i have a staffy pup and an akita they both mix very well the staffy being the one whos a nightmare lol (hes mental)

Akitas are amazing dogs and make lovely pets providing their in the right hands. its a massive shame that there are so many needing new homes

There are many very experienced owners on here so do not hesitate to ask should you need any advice.

Kirsty and Princess Tia
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter