Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: hello

hello 11 Apr 2013 20:09 #8596

• halken
  • Bear Puppy
hello i'm Kenny and i've just rescued shadow hes as stong as an ox and very friendly, i think hes about 1 year old and hes fit and healthy. ive had shadow 3 weeks now and we are getting on like a house on fire. ive had a few problems espescially leaving him on his own he tried to chew his way through the kitchen door. i understand he was left on his own quite a lot by his previous owner (he ran a pub and shadow was locked upstairs almost all of the time). i hope i can get him settled because hes a great companion. i hope i can learn a lot on this forum to help with my dog as hes just great
Kenny

Re: hello 12 Apr 2013 22:46 #8597

Hello and welcome Kenny it's always good to hear about a bears new home

I'm glad your getting on so well, there'll always be a few problems to iron out at the beggining but with patience and consitance you'll get there. As for the chewing when you leave him, the thing that's always worked for me is to build his confidence up, he needs to know you're coming back so start by going out of the front door in just the same way as you would when you go out for a few hours, but only leave for a few mins, say nothing when you leave ( I know it's tempting to say "I won't be long" make sure you're well out of sight and wait a few mins then go back into the home, say nothing to shadow and ignore him, he has to see you leaving him as nothing special. have a bit of a break, maybe and hour or two, then do the same again, eventually he'll be okay with the few mins he's left for, then you can add more time. again he'll be okay with that and you can add even more time, keep doing it until he just gives you a gentle greeting when you come home and eventually you can build up your homecoming rutine and your leaving rutine consistency is a must though I hope I've explained the rutine okay It sounds like poor shadow had a bit of a lonely past and he just needs to learn how to live in different way, but when he gets used to his new life with you he'll see that' he's never going to be lonely again

Piccy's please
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: hello 13 Apr 2013 16:52 #8603

• xmuadx
  • Akita Savie
Hi, Kenny, welcome. Do you have any pics you can let us see of Shadow? - I don't know if you are locking him in the kitchen when you go out? If you are, maybe try a stair gate instead? Most dogs hate to be confined, just being able to see out a bit more might help.

Re: hello 13 Apr 2013 17:01 #8604

• Joomla
  • Trustee
Hi Kenny,
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time here. It is hard for any new dog to get in to a new routine and if he has been left long periods of time previously, he is panicing as he is in a new place with people he does'nt know.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: hello 14 Apr 2013 10:50 #8607

Hi Kenny and Shadow! Welcome to the forum. I'm Jessica and I currently own a West Highland White Terrier called Charlie Boy and he is 7 years old, my other dog is a Blue Roan English Cocker Spaniel called Roman, also 7 years old. I did have 2 Akitas one American and the other Japanese but unfortunately they have both passed away, I look forward to lots of pictures!

Any questions, just ask.

I also have 2 cats, 4 ferrets and 10 horses!

Jessica, Charlie Boy and Roman xxxx

Re: hello 29 Apr 2013 10:01 #8689

• halken
  • Bear Puppy
Heres shadow doing his impression of a pit pony lol.
i have bought a halti head collar size 5 and its too big one swipe of his paw and its off any ideas the best size for him, what size do others have for there dogs
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter