Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Good afternoon.

Good afternoon. 30 Jul 2013 12:38 #9096

• steve
  • Bear Puppy
Hi all. My name is Steve (obviously) . Up until last month we were the proud carers of our Akita Tess. (in profile pic). We got her from a rescue about 8 years ago when she was about 3. I can honestly say she was the most loyal, gentle giant we have ever had the good fortune to care for. Unfortunetley last month old age got the better of her and her kidneys gave up so she had to be put to sleep. Even then she went with no fuss and just let the vet do what was needed. Gutted wasn't the word! myself my wife and 4 children have been lost ever since as has her playmate Holly who is a Caine Corsos. With this in mind we are on the look out for a new playmate for Holly. Idealy it would be a lady and as young as possible. I will consider a boy but would need to have Holly or the young lad "seen to" as I have no desire to bring anymore pups into the world. Lord knows there are enough in need of homes already. I know to well that Akita's can take a dislike to other dogs so would like one that can grow up alongside Holly. I don't have a large amount of spare capital to outlay for her although feeding, caring for and any such vets fee's etc are not be a problem. I would insure her anyway. I live in a council property in Stafford with a very large back garden. It is just a normal family home full of love and noise. If anyone thinks they know of a young lady or gent that will benefit from my circumstances then please let me know. Of course a home check is always welcomed.
Well that's me and mine. If you have any questions then ask away. I look forward to getting involved on here.

Re: Good afternoon. 30 Jul 2013 23:38 #9097

Hello and welcome Steve, so sorry to haear of your sad loss, Tess sounds very like my old benny who passed away nearly 7 years ago, along with bone cancer he also had kidney problems and just like your Tess he was so gentle and loving, it's definatly an akita trait we now have our rescue Asia and she too is a big old gentle giant

I'm, so glad you're ready to take on a new akita, there's so many that need loving homes.You don't say how old Holly is, but I would definatly suggest a boy and not a girl, same sex especially with older dogs is usually not advisable because they tend to clash and from my experience once trouble starts there's no turning back, but a boy with a girl is usually much less troublesome, the boy always sees the girl as "his bitch" and behaves himself to keep her happy but same sex sadley tend to be rivals. I'd suggest, if you haven't already, that you check out the Akitas in need">"Dogs for adoption" links on this site, you'lsee lots of males who are okay with the ladies, some of them are young boys, I think there's a few there that will be of interest to you so have a look then apply to adopt and fill out the relevent info, you'll then have a homecheck and all being okay you'll have a new friend for your Holly and yourself good luck and please keep us updated as to how you get on:)
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Good afternoon. 31 Jul 2013 12:31 #9099

• akitalady9
  • Calm before the storm
HI Steve & Family
Welcome to the site. There are lots of people who will be only to pleased to help & advise, Once you have registered & if you do see a dog you might think will suit you on the Akitas in need section, you can take it from there...
I really feel for your loss of Tess, The dogs seem to have that sense that the time has come, My Akiko had to be put to sleep last September & just waited for the vet in such a dignified way. We were heartbroken too.
Ive had 6 of these wonderful dogs over a 20 year span & I've said never again every time..... but once you have an Akita they are forever in your heart & no other dog will ever get to you in the same way.( i do still have 2 oldies ,lab/springer at the mo) they are spoilt & loved to bits, but its not the same
So i Know where you are coming from.
When i do the home checks & assessments i yearn for another Akita, ( but to be fair i do get my fix of sneaky kita kisses & cuddles as often as i can get away with it
I'm sure you will find the right Mate for Holly very soon. Don't be afraid to ask ,if there's anything you need help with & take your time , sadly there's always dogs in need & new ones come onto the list all the time

I wish you & the family all the very best

Don't forget to come to Paws in the Park in September if you can make it. There will be a stall there & lots of help on hand too( Stephanie is looking for more volunteers , in case anyone else is reading this is free to help on the stall)

Dawn- (Kent Rep)
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2013 14:09 by akitalady9. Reason: My crap spelling - sorry LOL

Re: Good afternoon. 31 Jul 2013 19:37 #9100

• steve
  • Bear Puppy
Hi. Thanks for the replies. Is another bitch a definate no no? The reason I ask is that a saw a rehome on pets4homes named Tia from Birmingham. She is beautiful and perfect apart from the fact that she is a lady. The owner said she had contacted someone called Christine on an Akita rescue site. Not sure if it is this one? I obviously don't want to get her if it could cause distress for both.

Re: Good afternoon. 01 Aug 2013 03:06 #9101

• akitalady9
  • Calm before the storm
Hi Steve
There is a Christine here on the rehoming team , so if you contact her via the contact page, she may shed some light on Tia.
The problems i've seen or come across with same sex pairs ,is that the young new one sometimes tries to dominate the old one. so its not something that's usually the best match . Im sure there are loads of pairs with same sex dogs/bitches together, but that's often where they have been brought up from an early age.
I'd definitely think about a neutered boy ,especially as Holly is a big girl too

Re: Good afternoon. 01 Aug 2013 14:17 #9103

from my own personal experience with a large akita boy and a smaller mixed breed boy, they worked great for a while and then my akita tried to dominate my older mixed breed, we did manage it for years (you have to have lots of rules especially around feeding) but eventually when my mixed breed got quite old my akita became aggressive towards him, he could sense my mixed breeds weakening health and just want to get rid of him but my akita was very confused because he also wanted to play with him and lay with him so he was suffering too, we had to completly seperate them and they lived in seperate parts of our then very small house, it was extreamly difficult because other negative things were going on as well. So I would say to avoid all the things we went through with same sex it would be so much more straight forward to get a boy akita for you and your Holly there's quite a few boys for rescue who have lived with a bitch
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter