Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello everyone

Hello everyone 24 Aug 2013 13:29 #9165

Hello everyone - would just like to introduce myself. My name's Peter and I'm currently learning as much as I can about Akitas, reading up all the information I can get. I lost my beautiful old lady Sheba (German Shepherd) to a tumour at the age of 12 last January and was heartbroken. I'm just now feeling ready to explore the possibility of getting another dog. I love big dogs and the more I find out about / see Akitas, the more I am drawn to them. As Sheba was so special to me, it wouldn't feel right getting another Shepherd, which is why I am looking at a completely different breed with different looks / characteristics. If anyone has any advice on owning an Akita I'd be really interested in hearing about it and if anyone has experience of changing from owning another breed to an Akita your observations would be very interesting. In the meantime - thanks very much for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to exploring the forum. All the best.
Last Edit: 24 Aug 2013 13:39 by Coastliner. Reason: saw spelling mistake!

Re: Hello everyone 24 Aug 2013 18:23 #9166

• stellalgray
  • Administrator
Hi Peter and welcome to the forum

So sorry to hear about the loss of Sheba - they certainly leave a big hole in your lives when they go. If you have any specific questions then there are lots of people on here who will be able to advise and help you - we also have a Facebook page where you can join in the chat with lots of Akita lovers and you can find us here:- www.facebook.com/groups/akitarescue. You will find we are all passionate about our bears and most people will tell you that once they have been owned by one they will never have another breed - they certainly get under you skin and in to your heart.

We have got two - a boy called Hugo who is 20 months old and a girl, Pip, who is 16 months. Both were rescues from Akita Rescue and Welfare and they do keep us on our toes - if it's any interest I write a blog which might give you an insight in to keeping them (please don't let it put you off, remember my two are very young and are going through the teenage tantrum years - there are lots of beautiful older dogs all desperate for a good home who are much more laid back) - the blog is hugodiaries.blogspot.com. Prior to these two we had a long coat boy (Sid - in my profile picture) who died in February 2012 at the age of 12 - we vowed never to have another dog as he was so special but only lasted 2 months before giving in and getting Hugo - the rest is history!

Have a look through the dogs up for adoption and see if any take your fancy but do feel free to ask all the questions you want.

Regards

Stella (Hugo & Pip)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coastliner

Re: Hello everyone 24 Aug 2013 22:41 #9168

Hello and welcome Peter I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, 12 years is a good age and I'm sure you have some wonderful memories of your time with Sheba.

I'm glad you're considering adopting an akita, they really are a very special breed,independant, steadfast, opinionated, strong, very loyal and loving, funny, clever (but they don't want you to know that they are; ) They're very expressive and you can read how they are feeling and what they are thinking just by the look on their faces There's loads of unique charactoristics to an akita They need to be kept on a lead at all times because they have very bad recall, they only come back to you if THEY want to, you can call and call for them to come back to you and if they don't want to do it they won't but some akitas cab be okay with recall Some aktas love to dig, my old Benny loved digging under fences! Asia is very good though They completly cast their undercoat, Asia does hers about every 4 months, she starting again now, it starts slowly and builds up to a mass of soft fluffy fur. They are very sweet natured but can be protective when needed, my Asia has a very sweet nature, she really know how to get what she wants by doing her "cute" stuff

I'm sure you'll find your new akita companion on the rehoming page, the good thing about adopting is that you have an idea what the character of the dog is because they've been assessed and some of their traits are already established Please ask any questions you need to ask and we'll try to give you answers here on the forum
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Hello everyone 25 Aug 2013 09:40 #9169

Hi Stella - many thanks for your reply. I will definitely check out Facebook & look forward to reading your blog. I would certainly be looking for a slightly more mature calmer dog 3 / 4 upwards. I had experience of a teenager when I looked after my brother's 18month old schnauzer for a fortnight a few weeks ago while they were away on holiday - I was run ragged both inside and outside the house!!
Thanks once again for welcoming me to the forum & best wishes.

Re: Hello everyone 25 Aug 2013 10:06 #9170

Hello Benson's mum - thank you very much for the welcome and your good advice. Your personal experience of Akitas backs up what I have read about them so it's nice to know that the factual stuff that you find is pretty accurate. I'm now looking forward to starting my search. Thanks again and all the best.

Re: Hello everyone 25 Aug 2013 13:39 #9171

Please keep us up to date on how your search goes Peter There's lots of needy older akitas out there just waiting to find a loving home:)
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter