Welcome, Guest

Hello from Belgium, heading for London !
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Hello from Belgium, heading for London !

Hello from Belgium, heading for London ! 23 Feb 2015 09:12 #9811

• Zooey
  • Bear Puppy
Hello,
a small post to introduce myself !

I'm Zoé, and I live in Brussels (even if I'm originally from Paris)
I firstly apologize for my sometimes borken English

I'm the proud human of a wonderful dog : Kam' (Kamikochi for her FULL name), a 5 years old female Akita Inu, who I adopted 15 months ago

I have been working with "Akita Home" in France, a small non profit organisation, devoted to akitas and more largely Japanese dogs in need of a new family.
I mostly hep developing tools to spread awareness about the breed's caracteristic, means of support and help for families who are overwhelmed by a complicated situation with their dogs...

And I help develop the organisation's work and actions in Belgium, my first rescuing mission ended up with me falling for Kam...
She has had 4 owners, and mostly because of her deafness people never seem to want to keep her long...
We now have found eachother, and not much could separate us
We still actively help Akita Home, and often foster dogs before they head to France to get to new responsible families !
We're heading to London this Spring, to live there for a few years, and I'd love to still be able to get involved in the rescuing of these amazing dogs (who are more than ever in need of help, being so popular )
The akitas in UK seem very different from the ones we see in France, bit more like what they look like in Belgium (with more Akita American types than the Inu ones ), it's really interesting for me and I look foward to discover how things work in England !

And if along the way I can pick up tips and tricks about living in the UK with a dog, even better !
I'll leave you with a few pictures of me and my sweet bear !

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 23 Feb 2015 09:16 by Zooey.

Re: Hello from Belgium, heading for London ! 26 Feb 2015 18:39 #9812

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Hi Zoe,

Welcome to the forum and very soon welcome to the UK

Kam is absolutely gorgeous, thank you for rescuing her, you look very happy together. Poor girl has really been through it hasnt she but she is clearly happy now

Do you know what part of London you are moving to? We do use kennels in Essex so im sure you could pop by. The more help the merrier
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Hello from Belgium, heading for London ! 27 Feb 2015 13:52 #9814

• Zooey
  • Bear Puppy
Hi,
thanks for your greetings ^_^

Kam has been through a lot indeed, but she's slowly starting to understand that she will finish her old day with me, and I think it s starting to actually show in a lot of her behaviours !

As for location : we'll probably end up in the North East of London, at least that's where I'm looking into We would love to visit ! And help in any ways we can.

Ah, alos worth mentioning : I do have plenty of documentation on the 2 big diseases that affect Akitas (more Inus thant American) : the VKH and the Sebaceous Adenitis.
I'll work on translating that material asap, if that can be of use to you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teresa

Re: Hello from Belgium, heading for London ! 27 Feb 2015 23:08 #9816

Hello Zoey and Kam Kam is amazing, I love the brindles and I'm so glad she found you I hope the two of you will be very happy in North East London, whereabouts in North East London are you staying? I'm from East London but I moved to Norfolk 5 years ago

Re: Hello from Belgium, heading for London ! 01 Mar 2015 19:47 #9820

• Zooey
  • Bear Puppy
Hello !
So far I've been staying near Manor house.
But I'm not sure where we'll live... Any suggestions and advice ?
I like Stoke Newington, it has great parks for Kam

Re: Hello from Belgium, heading for London ! 02 Mar 2015 15:37 #9822

check out the edge of East London such as South Woodford or Woodford Green, they are both on the central line tube into central London, North Chingford is lovely, it's not on the tube but it has a main line station I love these parts of London because they all have direct access to Epping Forest, epping forest is great for dog walking, it's massive and historic, it can be a bit pricey but not half as pricey as further into London, but I think it has a lot more going for it than a lot of the other overcrowded parts of London. most parts of the forest are in short walking distance. We where we lived in South chingford E4 we had a small part of forest at the top of the road and an small part of an ancient woodland (ainslie wood) around the corner Everywhere in London is over crowded so it's nice to have a little woodland excape to walk the dog through

Stay aways from places like Leyton, Forest Gate, Walthamstow, (Leytonstone isn't to bad and is in walking distance to open plains and forest) steer clear of Tottenham. Try searching around Epping forest areas, you might see somwhere that grabs you. Most London areas have parks, but most parks are crowded, the forest is big and very open, it's the best dog walking area you could wish for and has a great Forest Festival every year

I hope that's of some help more Kam piccy's please
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter