Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Hello There!

Hello There! 10 Mar 2015 22:11 #9836

• BigDogDad
  • Bear Puppy
Hello there all.
New to the forum, have been reading things on here for a few days now (along with everything else i could find on Akitas) as they hasve well and truly stolen my heart!

Went to the local rescue centre today to see a 3 year old dog called buster (here he is on their website www.caninerescue.co.uk/rescue-dog-information.asp?d=2333 ) who we have been looking at and talking about for a while now, and he was amazing. Got on well with the missus, both my daughters and was really good on lead. Sat on the lawn with him and he was rolliing around with all of us, taking sticks off the girls - and giving them back!!- it was heart wrentching to leave him after our time was up.

Now we are waiting for the home survey to see if we are allowed to keep him. If i get a no it is gonna break my heart, but will let you all know as soon as i do, and if succesfull, pictures will follow!!

Thanks for reading.

Regards

Aaron

Re: Hello There! 11 Mar 2015 00:26 #9838

Hello Aaron and welcome

So good to hear you're going to become an akita family, fingers crossed all goes well, buster sounds like he's decided to join your family Hopefully you pass the home check because it sounds like you'll give him a good home just a few little things to remember as an akita owner, if you're not already aware Akita's should very rarely be off lead, they don't do recall and even akita's who do the occasional recall will also not do it if they are pr-occupied with something such as chasing a squirrel or digging So always keep Buster on a lead, retractable leads still give them lots of freedom, my Asia still goes for a paddle on her retractable lead Akita's can climb as well, so a high fence is a must

Please get back to us and let us know how it goes, my fingers are tightly crossed for you
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigDogDad

Re: Hello There! 11 Mar 2015 17:05 #9839

• BigDogDad
  • Bear Puppy
Thanks. We have the home visit tomorrow at 10:30, so will let you all know tomorrow. thanks for the advice, never to proud to accept advice from anyone! Hopefully i will be adding a few pics of Buster in a few days at home with us!

Re: Hello There! 11 Mar 2015 20:28 #9841

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the forum

Good luck with your homecheck tomorrow, we have everything crossed for you. Buster looks great, and I am sure he will be very happy with you.

I cant agree with what Pauline says enough, always keep him on the lead in public. They are hunters and can have a huge prey drive, making short work of low fencing or anything that is in the way of them reaching what they have a smell for.

They are very loyal and loving dogs, once an Akita owner always an Akita owner.

Looking forward to the pics
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Hello There! 11 Mar 2015 22:51 #9844

• BigDogDad
  • Bear Puppy
Thanks Teresa!
Having had dogs in the past (including a doberman i rescued who was not dog or people friendly) i am used to doing lots of lead only work. The fencing in the garden won't be an issue (it is a low fence but he will not be going out there) as i live a short walk from the beach and lots of nice walks (living in scotland does have it's benifits!! )
Just hoping it goes well tomorrow. The girls really want their 'giant teddy' to come home soon! (their words, not mine!!) the bit about the prey drive you said reminded me of my old rottweiler. (would chase anything with an engine!! Think he didn't like the noise) cant wait to get it all sorted. Think he will love his bed, as we are getting him a sofa, just for him!!

He has also just started to blow his coat, so if anyone can reccomend any good brushes/combs, that would be really helpfull, also, if anyone can reccomend a good collar type. pulling is not an issue, so not a halti (never been a fan of them and have tried 3 different types in the past) more like a martingale type? am going to be using climbing rope instead of an extending lead for swimming/giving a bit more freedom (better handle to my mind as i can hold it like a propper lead and use carabiners as attatchments) as i have had one break on me in the past and i lost all faith in them. (Just my personal experience, not slagging them off at all!)

Thanks again for the welcome, hopefully i will be letting you all know good news tomorrow evening!!
Last Edit: 11 Mar 2015 22:51 by BigDogDad.

Re: Hello There! 12 Mar 2015 16:57 #9849

I use a ferminator for Asia, but a good rake works well too

Asia wears a harnness for her walks, but she also always has a loose fabric "choke" collor on I don't use the choke, it's just to hang her tags and stuff from, the loose fabric ones are good because they don't mark the fur around their neck, and it's nice and loose for her. The harness is a car harness so it's got a bit of lead on it

I had a retractable lead snap on me once, my old Benny took off like a bull! and it just snapped, but that was the rope type of retractable, we now use the flat lead type retactable, much stronger Your climbing rope should be well strong enough
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter