Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another Hello

Another Hello 08 Oct 2015 19:53 #9986

• hep275
  • Bear Puppy
Just wanted to say hi. Lost my lovely choccie lab a month ago and while still sad about that I need to get another furry friend to fill the void so am hopefully bringing home an akita cross bitch from dogs trust in Evesham on Sunday. Have no experience of the breed but have been reading up!! Don't know what she is crossed with but she is long haired and gorgeous!!

Re: Another Hello 11 Oct 2015 22:53 #9987

Please excuse me for only just getting back to you but a belated hello and welcome

I'm sorry to hear about you sad loss, but I'm sure your new furry friend will help to ease your sadness.

Have you got you akita cross home with you now, I hope bringing her home today went well, what's her name?

A few things that your girl might bring with her from the akita part that might be worth looking out for could be the almost no recall, akitas can be very stubborn and most don't come back when called, so a strong retractable lead is important, no off lead is recomended for pure bred akitas

Akita's like to dig.
Akita's can climb so a high fence is needed.
Akita's completley cast their soft undercoat once or twice a year, bags and bags of fluffyfur.
Akita's can be "chatty" they make a few different vocal sounds
Akita's are very strong.
Akita's can be trained, sit, down ect. but they can take a little more patience beause it's in 'there own time,'
Akita's a loving but can be aloof

That's just a few of the special akita qualities if you have any specific questions please ask

I'd love to see pics of your akita cross lady, pleeeeeze
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Another Hello 12 Oct 2015 05:52 #9988

• hep275
  • Bear Puppy
Thank you - some really useful information there. Kimi - she was called Flossie in Dogs Trust kennels but we wanted her to have a Japanese name and although we had originally thought of Yoshi, a couple of people asked if it was after a Mario game character so we decided to go for Kimi which means noble. She has been as good as gold. She was dry and clean overnight and we never heard a sound from her. She takes treats gently and is quite playful but she does tend to pull on her harness when out for a walk. We live on a country lane with a railway crossing about 1/2 mile from our house so last night on her walk she met horses, a motor bike, and had to wait at the crossing - she was fine with everything but didn't like the noise the barrier made when it went up after the train. We havent let her off lead in the garden yet but that will come. She has explored our house downstairs and not shown that much interest in going upstairs although she did put a paw on the stairs when my daughter went up this morning.
I hope I have managed to attached a couple of pics I took of her yesterday - would love to hear what anyone thinks of her.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Another Hello 12 Oct 2015 16:11 #9989

Kimi is a lovely name and what beautiful girl she is She looks very akita, what is she supposed to be crossed with? I can only see a long coat (also known as a wooly) akita in the photos, a long coat isn't a KC recognised akita type, it's just one of those cute little "flukes" that turn up in a litter now and then, they are also know to be perhaps a little more "dopey and placid" (it makes them extra special) than the usual akita If she is a full akita then the no off lead is definatly reccomended, my Asia is never off lead, she's on a long retratable, and she still goes for little swims and paddles and enjoys her walks

Your Kimi might take time to settle properly, akita's arn't too keen on change, my first akita Benny sulked for 3 weeks when we moved house but his friend, my old mongral Eddie (now at the bridge) would settle imediatly My now akita Asia sulked for 2 weeks and wanted to go home with my sister everytime she visited! and she would try to make a bolt for it when anyone came to the door.

When we got Asia from rescue she needed a lot of training and took ages to settle, but I spent time training her and she is now the sweetest, loving akita anyone could wish for, maybe she's still quite, no very, stubborn but that's just the akita coming out in her,

If you have any problems or need a little support...... or just want to show more pics of her don't hesitate to ask here. I can't wait to hear how her new happy life with you goes

Re: Another Hello 12 Oct 2015 17:40 #9990

• hep275
  • Bear Puppy
Thanks. She is long coated. Dogs Trust have said she is a cross but have no idea what she is crossed with and I think are basing that she isnt a full Akita also on her size - she only weighs about 27.5kg but i think she's a little on the skinny side.

Re: Another Hello 13 Oct 2015 22:06 #9994

I still think she's a full long coat akita and not a cross she does sound a little underweight, I think 35 kilos is about the weight for an akita bitch, but of course it depends on how "tall" she is but once she settles and gets used to her regular meals her weight might go up
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter