Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another Hello

Re: Another Hello 15 Oct 2015 11:38 #9997

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Hello and welcome to the group

Thank you for opening your heart and home to Kimi, she is absolutely gorgeous

I am inclined to agree with Pauline in that she looks longcoat Akita to me and not a cross at all. My own girl is also longcoated and she weighs just 34kg. They are often quite light under all that fluff.That fluff will also moult fully twice a year so be sure to keep on top of the grooming.

Whereabouts are you? I presume it isnt too far from Evesham? We had a group walk in Cannock Chase last weekend, there were 23 Akitas enjoying their walk. Perhaps you could join us at the next one.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Another Hello 15 Oct 2015 12:13 #9998

• hep275
  • Bear Puppy
Tia is lovely and I can see how similar Kimi looks to her. We live in Cheltenham so about 45 mins from Evesham. Love the idea of an Akita walk but walking is something we need to work on as a priority - she's not bad if i'm walking over fields and there's nothing to distract her but taking her out this morning we went through the park where she encountered 3 dogs off lead and from then on seemed keen to do the rest of the walk on her hind legs!! And yes, she is strong! I feel I should have some sort of banner or label for her which says "I'm new and a rescue dog, please give me time and space" otherwise I fear people will think badly of her when they see her outside and that does nothing to help the reputation of the breed or rescue dogs - especially big ones as for some strange reason people seem to think its fine to have a snappy, barking and irritable Jack Russel but its not ok to have the same in a larger dog!!

Considering we have only had her since Sunday I think she has settled in remarkably well - we have discovered she can open doors....she is shut in the utility room at night but greeted me from the kitchen at 6.30 this morning! She must be finding living in a house warm as she seems to pant quite a bit and likes lying in the kitchen or utility where the floors are tiled - we leave her to get on with it as we don't want to crowd her. I took her to meet our vet yesterday and she agreed that she is a little thin so we're going to up her food and try to get a bit more meat on her bones. The vet also thinks she is a bit younger than Dogs Trust who have put her as being 4 on her paperwork - vet said that's a max and she is more like 2-3 years old. She is quite playful but does seem to have a short attention span so her mad bursts of playing are generally only lasting 5 to 10 minutes. Apart from her lead control and being so focused on things she wants to investigate when we're out we have yet to discover her vices......sure there must be some!

Out of interest how long does anyone tend to exercise their Akita for? I am doing roughly 3 x 30 mins each day. At the weekends I expect it may sometimes only be 2 walks but one will be much longer. I'm conscious she has been in kennels since at least mid July and don't want to overdo it too soon but equally don't want to under exercise and have probs because she is bored.

We have had a few visitors since we bought her home and she's be absolutely fine with them - I was a bit unsure of what she might be like from reading up on the breed and appreciate she may become more protective as she is with us longer. She doesn't like her hard round plastic 'day' bed but enjoys pulling all the bedding out of it!! Thankfully we also have a flat mattress type bed which she will sort of lie on - although she likes to stretch out and overhangs it! Hopefully I have put another couple of photos of her on...
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 15 Oct 2015 12:18 by hep275. Reason: delete duplicated sentence

Re: Another Hello 15 Oct 2015 15:22 #9999

More lovely pics of your pretty girl

The way you describe her behavior is soooooo akita, especially when you described her attention span

You said -:"She is quite playful but does seem to have a short attention span so her mad bursts of playing are generally only lasting 5 to 10 minutes."

Asia is exactly the same, in fact she prefers to decide when she wants to play, sh just looks at me as if I'm short of a few brain cells when I try to encourage her to play

The dog encounter sounds simular to my Asia's behavior when we got her, but she used to throw herself at dogs and if she was close to them she would slap them round the head with her giant paw I agree with you, a giant label explaining her rescue status would be handy, but I got her out of her bad ways by getting her to concentrate on me when she saw another dog. just carry a few treats with you, cheese always works for Asia, and as soon as you see another dog approaching, say "treat" get her to sit and as the dog walks by (at a distance preferably, e.g. other side of the road,) keep her concentrating on the treat and you and give her the treat when you feel you've got her concentration, then set off on your walk again. It takes time but she will soon catch on and sit for her treat when she sees another dog, eventually you won't need to do it anymore. Asia is very calm around dogs now...as long as they're calm around her

As for walk times, akita's don't always need lots of energetic excersize as long as they can snuffle around under bushes and explore their surroundings they're happy on a strong retractable lead. when we first got my Asia she broke two retractable leads by shooting off after something, they were the string type retractable, but she now has a very nice and very strong wide lead type retractable and it's been going strong for almost 9 years now. At least you can reel them in when they do their "I'll come in my own time" akita thing, they do have a tendency to keep on running, or trotting, and completly ignore you, akitas are very single minded as you are finding out I would say the amount of excersize you're doing is okay, in fact over walking an akita can be bad for their rear leg tendens. Asia gets long weekend walks with sitting down time (she's almost 11 and needs lots of breaks now) and her regular walks tend to be 15 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening, but that includes sniffing a blade of grass for 5 mins when she was younger it would be up to 45 mins evening and 20 mins morning

It sounds like Kimi is finding her feet (or paws) my Asia had a big plastic bed but did the same as Kimi so the plastic bed went and I got her double quilt and cover from the charity shop, I fold it to size and she much prefers to lay on that

Please keep the updates coming, it's good to hear how she's settling in
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Another Hello 19 Oct 2015 19:08 #10000

• Teresa
  • Administrator
She is such a pretty girl! Im so glad she has a loving home and isnt sitting in kennels anymore.

Tia has done many a walk on her back legs either trying to get a dog or a bird or anything that moves ! I used to use a canny collar which stopped her from pulling and no matter how much she jumped about I still had full control of her.

You would be surprised what an Akita walk looks like......All the dogs keep their distance from each other and we always choose locations that provide plenty of room for us all to be a comfortable distance apart which means the naughty ones cannot cause any trouble. Little devils!

The Akitas attention span is like that of a child, they get bored easily so training sessions etc should be kept to around 10 minutes. Once they get bored they just up and walk off and often look at you like you are mad. They dont do anything for nothing either so tasty treats are a must. They respond really well to positive reinforcement.

Are you on Facebook? here is the link to or group www.facebook.com/groups/akitarescue/
We post our walk and events on there. We are hoping to do our next walk closer to you as oneof the Trustees lives in Gloucester and she always ends up travelling. Keep a look out for the next one
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Another Hello 20 Oct 2015 15:22 #10002

Haha Teresa you describe them so well......10 min attention span, get bored easily, nothing for nothing

My old Benny wasn't bothered with treats but he loved to be told he was a good boy, he'd often spin with excitment when he was told he was a good boy it didn't go down too well during his training sessions and his attention span was one of the downfalls of his begginers test, but he did manage to get his GCD certificate, The 10 min home training sessions worked well though beause as you say 10 mins is long enough before they either lay down or turn round and walk off they have to be seen as fun as well, so end the 10 mins on a game, that's if the akita hasn't yet fallen asleep or wondered off to lay in a sunny patch in the garden
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter