Welcome, Guest

Hmmm raw or roasted bones?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hmmm raw or roasted bones?

Hmmm raw or roasted bones? 29 Jan 2012 16:13 #3058

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
We are still doing a lot of firsts with Thorn. Yesterday we got a whole shin beef bone from the butcher. It was so heavy I could not pick it up so Mike, the adorable husband and Thorn shadow, or is it the other way around? Well, Mike sawed it into several bits.

Cold but fine so Thorn was given one of the knuckle ends to gnaw on in the garden. A few licks and it was abandoned. It has just sat in one of his feeding bowls today with just the occasional lick and bit of interest if I dug out the marrow.

Today I threw it in a roasting tin and put it in the oven while I did the rest.

Now see the interest!
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 29 Jan 2012 16:17 by Suky.

Re: Hmmm raw or roasted bones? 06 May 2012 20:58 #4991

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
After months of trying we still cannot interest Thorn in raw bones but he adores them cooked. Every so often my husband visits the local butcher and buys a beef leg bone, yes a whole one. He then sawns into manageable sizes and I freeze what I am not cooking.

Each Sunday I pop a bone in the oven while I do the roast. Lots of lovely beef dripping for free and Thorn has the bone.

We also have rice pudding each Sunday as husband is addicted to it. Now we have a bear who is addicted to it too. It's made a huge difference to the quality of his coat. His was very coarse when we first brought him home but it is getting silkier by the month.

Hard to believe that he has been with us longer than anyone else.

Re: Hmmm raw or roasted bones? 06 May 2012 23:07 #4995

I didn't see your post first time round but I love the photos, just look at him getting stuck in!

My Asia can`t have bone due ot her allergies, but a vet I once lived next door to said that the safest bones to give to dogs are knuckle bones because they don't splinter, I used to give them (cooked) to my old Benny (the dog I had before I got Asia) and he loved them, they did wonders for his old teeth
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Suky

Re: Hmmm raw or roasted bones? 07 May 2012 10:24 #5002

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
He is a proper bone boy and is not satisfied until he has picked it clean. Then it is buried in his toy box. It will be a prized possession for a while. He will 'squeak' if he can't find it and we will all have to search until we can reunite him with it.

After he was presented with the still cooling bone yesterday, I had to pick bits off of it as it was still too hot for him. He was not impressed when I tried to take it back into the house and stood guard over it until it had cooled and he could pick it up. He has reason for this as we have an urban fox in the area and his bones have been stolen before.

Once he had picked all the skin and fat off of it and it was cool he brought it indoors and just chewed.
He had to be torn away from it to go for a walk and all the time he was out, he was yearning to go home and galloped on the return journey. Usually he plods along quite nicely.

Bone is now in 4 pieces and neatly arranged in front of his toy box. I had put them in there last night and again this morning but am now resigned to the 'ornaments' on the hall carpet. He is sound asleep at the top of the stairs, pretending to watch his bones.

I really cannot understand why this beautiful, funny, well trained dog has been given up twice before. We love him so much that he now has a forever home.

Re: Hmmm raw or roasted bones? 07 May 2012 10:38 #5004

Raw bones are better for your dogs, they are softer and don't splinter, they are great at cleaning dogs teeth too and full of juicy, healthy marrow! cooked bones do splinter so if your dog wont eat raw like mentioned part cook them or give knuckles. you could try chicken wings or drum sticks, the meat usually encourages the dogs to give them a good chomp and the bones are smaller so harder for your dog to fuss over, you can slowly work up to bigger bones on their own x

Re: Hmmm raw or roasted bones? 20 May 2012 18:01 #5186

• POLLYWOLLY
  • Teenage Rampager
Hi, I was always led to believe that small bones could get stuck in dogs digestive track. I've tried bought cooked ham bones and raw knuckle but couldn't interest her! Beaus teeth are manky but she will not let us clean them. Got a scale and polish when we first got Beau whilst under for hip xray. I've even tried the plaque off, rubbish and was advised to try fragaria again no difference. I've even bought nylon falvoured bones but she will lick and then turns her nose up!

I wish I could tempt her. M-inL did buy small raw bones once and she was going for these but I was scared of them causing trouble so took them off her.

Any suggestions?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter